Like us on Facebook

TexMex!


Well, this is my 1st official post! Tonight we made Texmex; a very easy kid friendly meal. It is a super easy dinner idea and fun for kids to get involved with as well!

Here is the Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef
1 10oz can of Rotel Original diced tomatoes and green chilies (drained)
1 15oz can of Hormel Chili with beans
1 10oz bag of yellow rice (I use Vigo brand!)
2-3 cups of shredded cheese (I prefer a Mexican blend if I have it)
Tortilla Chips (scoops are what we use)

Directions:
Brown and strain ground beef. Cook the rice per directions on the bag. Combine cooked rice, drained ground beef, drained Rotel, and chili with beans. Pour half of the mixture into a 13x9 pan or your favorite casserole dish, add a layer of shredded cheese, then add the rest of the mixture and top with the rest of the cheese. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese melts and starts to bubble. Serve with your choice of tortilla chips.

Additional toppings:
Sour cream
Salsa
Lettuce
Guacamole
Extra cheese (Queso Fresco is a favorite in our house)

This casserole is a great make ahead dish as well! I actually made it early this morning before we started running our errands when I had the most energy! I just stuck it in the fridge covered in foil and baked it for about 30 minutes instead of 20. Also, if you or anyone in your family is like me and HATE beans you can substitute the chili with beans with chili no beans! I do this and then make either black beans or refried beans as a side dish for the bean loves in my family. This is also a good service meal! So, if you needed to take dinner to a family for any reason, throw it in a disposable pan and allow them to put it in the oven when they are ready to eat.

So, with a two-year-old I didn't allow her to help me with the ground beef. However, she did help me dump the rice into the rice cooker, add the water to the rice, and spread the cheese on the casserole.

We also made brownies so she could help with everything! It was just a Betty Crocker box mix, but she helped dump the water, oil, and brownie mix into the bowl AND crack the eggs! She loves mixing the batter because mommy lets her lick the bowl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panipopo!

Jalapeno Jelly

Oven Sliders

The BEST Chicken Flautas

How do I stay organized???